Wednesday, November 25, 2009

SharePoint 2010 Single Server Install Roadblock

So I finally have some time to sit down and create a virtual machine for SharePoint 2010. In classic Joel fashion, I can't just run the "standalone install." I have to run standalone with SQL Server, because I might just need full SQL Server for something in the future, right?

So in SharePoint 2010, you can't run a farm installation using local accounts by default. So there is a fix (see link), but when I run the new-SPConfigurationDatabase PowerShell command I get the following error:

New-SPConfigurationDatabase : The passphrase supplied does not meet the minimum complexity requirements. Please select another passphrase that meets all of th e following criteria: is at least 8 characters; contains at least three of the following four character groups: English uppercase characters (A through Z); E nglish lowercase characters (a through z); Numerals (0 through 9); Non-alphabet ic characters (such as !, $, #, %). Type a passphrase which meets these require ments. At line:1 char:28 + New-SPConfigurationDatabase <<<< + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (System.Security.SecureString:S ecureString) [New-SPConfigurationDatabase], SPException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdletNewSPCon figurationDatabase

Screen shot:

My farm credentials account has a passphrase that meets the requirements. Thing is, I am never asked for my Farm passphrase, like shown in the other blog post screen shot. So I am wondering what's going on?

[9:21pm] I'm trying the full command line route, e.g.

PS C:\Users\MyUser> New-SPConfigurationDatabase -DatabaseName "SharePoint2010_Co
nfigDB" -DatabaseServer "SP2010Demo1" -Passphrase (ConvertTo-SecureString "Password1$$$" -AsPlainText -force) -FarmCredentials (Get-Credential)

However I've now realized that my SQL Server 2008 SP1 needs the CU2. Downloading now. The saga continues.

[10:12pm] Finally got CU2 installed for SQL Server. Alas, now getting " The user does not exist or is not unique" error mentioned in the From the Field blog. More troubleshooting...

[12:45am] Gave up with SQL Server 2008 and went with standalone SP2010 install (using SQL Express). Still got the user profile manager error during SP config wizard, but SharePoint 2010 is installed for the most part. Time for bed.


Tom Shirley said...

G'day Joel,
Apparently the error, "The user does not exist or is not unique", is due to an incorrect Geneva Framework version installed. A Sharepointer mentions his triumph over this problem here.

I've tried the aforementioned without success. A stand-alone seems to be the path of least resistance, but I’m going to test my pertinacity for a while longer before I admit defeat.



Joelsef said...

Yep, I saw the "From the Field" blog comment solution about the Geneva framework too but it also did not work for me.

Standalone is fine for now, for demo purposes.

I do want to get it working in a farm. Alas, I may just need to follow protocol and use Active Directory accounts as it suggests. :-)

Tom Shirley said...

Hi Joel,
This issue, in my case, was caused by forgetting to include the domain when entering in the local service account credentials.

Hope this helps,

Unknown said...

Joel, I also jumped through the hoops you jumped through without success. My resolution was the same as Tom Shirley's. I had to fully qualify the user account.

Good luck!

Tracy Sterling said...

Ditto on the missing domain, once I preceded the username with the local machine name the error was resolved. Also read that once the command is run incorrectly within the PowerShell, you must restart it before re-running the command differently in order to get it to work. In addition, it took a LONG time for the New-SPConfigurationDatabase command to complete. I would suggest running it, and then going to get a cup of coffee. And definitely don't move onto starting the config wizard until it has succeeded and you've seen the new prompt appear within the PowerShell window.

Oliver said...

The missing domain (i.e. the hostname in the non-domain/local setup) did the job also for my installation - took me 4 hours to figure this out...

so for the farm-credential you'll have to use the full-qualified account.