- Accepts the users PKI identity certificate
- Checks the status of the user's account
- Logs the user into Active Directory without requiring a password
- Forwards the user to the SharePoint site
- The user can access and contribute within the site as a regular SharePoint user
We also included some nifty certificate type checking, and certain users are required to fill out a sponsorship form and getting approved before they are allowed to access the site.
I'll try to put some details of how we accomplished this up at some point. Suffice it to say, it was a long road and many people helped along the way.
Has anyone out there integrated PKI with SharePoint? I'm pretty sure we're not the only ones doing it, so I'm curious how others have accomplished this.